Skip to main content

It is Murder?

We went to dinner with friends over the weekend and started discussing some favorite movies.  We decided one has to step back in time for really good films. An actual plot and good acting are lacking in many films today.  Those two elements beat glitzy special effects any day.  I'm an Alfred Hitchcock fan myself and never tire of watching his collection of suspenseful and downright scary movies. And don't we all love a good scare?

My all time favorite is Rear Window starring Jimmy Stewart, the stunning Grace Kelly, Thelma Ritter, and Raymond Burr.  The movie was made in 1954  and is based on a short story by Cornell Woolrich, entitled It Must be Murder.  It was nominated for four Academy Awards and is considered one of Hitchcock's best. The Rotten Tomatoes website says "Hitchcock exerted full potential of suspense in this masterpiece." I consider it his best.  The cinematography alone is worth watching the movie.  He is masterful at discovering the private worlds within each apartment window—Miss Lonely Hearts, the dancer, and the struggling composer just to name a few.

The movie will keep you on the edge of your seat watching Grace Kelly sneak into Raymond Burr's apartment to try and find evidence of a murder. (Her costumes by Edith Head are wonderful too.) Jimmy Stewart, who plays a photographer confined to his apartment because of a broken leg watches helplessly from his window on the other side of the complex. Thelma Ritter, who plays his nurse is biting her nails while Miss Kelly narrowly escapes Mr. Burr's murderous clutches or does she?  If you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend you get it in your queue on Netflix.  No remake of this will ever compare to the original.

Probably Hitchcock's most famous movie is Psycho with Janet Leigh.  Who can ever forget the shower scene?  And then there's The Birds.  Made in 1963 starring Rod Taylor and introducing Tippi Hedron, the tension in this movie never stops until the very end which  is typical of a Hitchcock film.  It was loosely based on a short story by Daphne du Maurier and you'll end up giving flocks of birds a second look after watching this chilling movie. Alfred used another du Maurier story, Rebecca for a sinister and psychological thriller that is a must see.

As the days get cooler, and we decide to sip hot chocolate while curled up on the couch, I suggest you check out what Mr. Hitchcock has to offer.  There are so many good ones to choose from:  North by Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The Trouble With Harry, Rope, Vertigo, Spellbound, To Catch a Thief, Dial M for Murder, Strangers on a Train, Shadow of a Doubt and the list goes on.  You may not want to watch them alone though, so it's a great time to invite a few friends over to enjoy a really good movie. I think that sounds like an outstanding idea.  There are a few Hitchcock movies stashed on the DVR all ready to go.  In fact, The Birds is at the top of the queue.

What's your favorite Hitchcock movie or favorite suspense movie?  I'd love to hear from readers this week on your choice. 



Comments

whenilk said…
I believe that one of the best mystery/suspense movies was, "Diabolique", a French film made in 1955. I can't think of any movie produced in the past twenty years that is worth the high prices at the box office or Fandango.
The best thing bout Hitchcock's great films is that they are all available for low cost or free, and all are good.
I'll have to check that one out. Thanks, Harry.

Popular posts from this blog

Book Giveaway

I'll be giving a copy of The Time Under Heaven to the winner of a drawing on July 11.  Just click to follow SimplyLife between July 1 and July 10, and you'll be entered. It's SIMPLY simple. The Time Under Heaven is available at Amazon in paperback or Kindle.  Reviews In "The Time Under Heaven," first-time author Laurinda Wallace has created ordinary, relatable, and approachable characters, weaving a story of struggle and ultimate success from a faith perspective. And just when you think you know where the story is heading, it veers off into unknown territory revealing how unexpected life is. Wallace's storytelling captures the reader's emotions and attention with characters that have heart and soul and settings with vivid realism. "The Time Under Heaven" is a great read that will leave you wanting more.   Francine Biere, Author of Death in the Desert. Editorial Review - The Time Under Heaven – Laurinda Wallace’s debut novel is a...

The Worst Dishes Ever

Thanksgiving is only days away now and visions of succulent turkey, creamy mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, and moist stuffing are dancing through our heads.  However, holiday feasts also bring out those dishes that are made but once or twice a year, some to our delight, and others--not so much. The delightful list for me includes pecan pie, homemade stuffing, and turkey (with some crispy skin). Yup,it's all stuff that will clog your arteries in a heartbeat. Since it's once a year, I think the indulgence is totally permissible. My doctor may say otherwise, but really now, it's Thanksgiving. These decadent dishes are certainly not found in our weekday menus--at least not mine. However, there are some dishes that make it to the Thanksgiving table that should've been left in the kitchen or in the best case scenario, never made at all. Here's a quick list of what NOT to make next week. 1. Jell-O salads. I know, I know. They're traditional. But green gelatin ...

The Wild World of Condiments

When you bite into that burger, what's on top of it?  Ketchup, mustard, salsa, relish, onions, cheese? All of the above? None?  I love condiments of all kinds, all ethnic persuasions, colors, textures. They add the zing to whatever I'm eating. As a kid, ketchup was my number one favorite. It goes well on most anything. Ask my Aunt Nita who was a real rebel back in the day and put it on her eggs. I was mildly shocked at this as a child, but followed her example and found it to be pretty tasty. Now I prefer salsa and cheese on scrambled eggs, but nothing can replace ketchup on a myriad of foods. So what's a condiment? It comes from the Latin word "condimentum" which means seasoning. I can see my Latin teacher standing to cheer on this one. I should try to decline the noun, but I'm not sure if I'd make it. All good words come from the Latin, which is common knowledge, sort of like "all words come from the Greek" (My Big Fat Greek Wedding).  Diction...