Skip to main content

Low and Slow

There's nothing like ribs cooked low and slow in the smoker or stew simmering in the crockpot.  Can you smell those rich, BBQ ribs or that beefy stew?  Some things just take time and they're well worth the wait. 

Our culture doesn't promote waiting of any sort--enter the very medium I use everyday (Internet). Shopping, finding information on everything from diseases to clothes, and so much more. The spinning circle indicating that something is slow in downloading--not good. Waiting is not popular --I'm usually not a fan. But I've gained some wisdom over the years, and find that waiting or patience is necessary for much of life. So you can either continue to be frustrated that life isn't instanteous or accept that the line you choose at the grocery store will be the absolute slowest.

After printing off the Bible reading schedule that will get me through the Bible within 12 months, I decided to go low and slow.  What's the hurry?  Why not get rid of the list and try a different approach?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with reading through the Bible in a year. I've done it a few times and have found it to be valuable experience every time.  There is a certain sense of accomplishment to check off the little boxes on the schedule, especially for me since To Do lists are important daily companions. But going low and slow in 2013 means that there's time to actually to savor the Scripture, rather than dashing through it to meet the appointed daily reading.  I've decided to read through a book in each section of the Bible for this year.  History, poetry, the Gospels, the Law, wisdom, epistles, and prophecy. Already a lot of pressure has been lifted.  There's time for the Spirit to speak, time to be still, and time to get to know the Author of the book.  His Word is like honey, a two-edge sword, flawless, beautiful, and alive.  Those striking descriptions are found in the pages of 66 books written over a span of over 1,600 years by 40+ people, who wrote as God inspired them. 

Here's your challenge: read the Bible every day in whatever way works for you. Try the low and slow method if you're feeling overwhelmed with the schedule or just want to slow down. Stay in one book all year if you want, read through the Gospels, or try the method above.  Get to know the Author who pursues you with love and redemption. His Word contains everything we need for living life well.

    All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right.   It is God's way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do.   II Timothy 3:16-17 NLT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Giveaway

I'll be giving a copy of The Time Under Heaven to the winner of a drawing on July 11.  Just click to follow SimplyLife between July 1 and July 10, and you'll be entered. It's SIMPLY simple. The Time Under Heaven is available at Amazon in paperback or Kindle.  Reviews In "The Time Under Heaven," first-time author Laurinda Wallace has created ordinary, relatable, and approachable characters, weaving a story of struggle and ultimate success from a faith perspective. And just when you think you know where the story is heading, it veers off into unknown territory revealing how unexpected life is. Wallace's storytelling captures the reader's emotions and attention with characters that have heart and soul and settings with vivid realism. "The Time Under Heaven" is a great read that will leave you wanting more.   Francine Biere, Author of Death in the Desert. Editorial Review - The Time Under Heaven – Laurinda Wallace’s debut novel is a...

The Worst Dishes Ever

Thanksgiving is only days away now and visions of succulent turkey, creamy mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, and moist stuffing are dancing through our heads.  However, holiday feasts also bring out those dishes that are made but once or twice a year, some to our delight, and others--not so much. The delightful list for me includes pecan pie, homemade stuffing, and turkey (with some crispy skin). Yup,it's all stuff that will clog your arteries in a heartbeat. Since it's once a year, I think the indulgence is totally permissible. My doctor may say otherwise, but really now, it's Thanksgiving. These decadent dishes are certainly not found in our weekday menus--at least not mine. However, there are some dishes that make it to the Thanksgiving table that should've been left in the kitchen or in the best case scenario, never made at all. Here's a quick list of what NOT to make next week. 1. Jell-O salads. I know, I know. They're traditional. But green gelatin ...

The Wild World of Condiments

When you bite into that burger, what's on top of it?  Ketchup, mustard, salsa, relish, onions, cheese? All of the above? None?  I love condiments of all kinds, all ethnic persuasions, colors, textures. They add the zing to whatever I'm eating. As a kid, ketchup was my number one favorite. It goes well on most anything. Ask my Aunt Nita who was a real rebel back in the day and put it on her eggs. I was mildly shocked at this as a child, but followed her example and found it to be pretty tasty. Now I prefer salsa and cheese on scrambled eggs, but nothing can replace ketchup on a myriad of foods. So what's a condiment? It comes from the Latin word "condimentum" which means seasoning. I can see my Latin teacher standing to cheer on this one. I should try to decline the noun, but I'm not sure if I'd make it. All good words come from the Latin, which is common knowledge, sort of like "all words come from the Greek" (My Big Fat Greek Wedding).  Diction...