Skip to main content

Fowl or Fish?

The last two years have been especially challenging for my flower gardens. Between an historic cold snap of zero degrees for two nights in a row and a killer drought of 6 1/2 months last year, my plants took a real hit. There were several plants that outright kicked the bucket after the extreme cold. When last spring rolled around, the poor things were brown and crispy. Vainly I looked for a hint of green, but alas, they were unceremoniously removed and tossed in the dead plant pile out back. Some struggled along and finally managed to leaf out, putting out a few blooms. The roses were mediocre, so I cut them back with impunity in the fall. There's always next year, I maintained. 

Spring 2012 rolled around and with high hopes of bushels of flowers, gardening began again in earnest. The roses recovered from their 2011 doldrums and produced nicely all through May. There were however, a few more flower fatalities and some slackers who just hadn't recovered in the courtyard. Replacements were chosen and planted. Extra waterings and fertilizer were brought to bear with some success. Thinking all was well, we left for a two-week vacation in June. Upon our return, we were greeted by stripped rose bushes. The gang of rabbits that inhabit the Casa Wallace property had voraciously eaten the leaves from the bottom of the canes to about mid-way.  The bushes looked like they had been given a faux-hawk. Fertilizing and watering in earnest, my hopes were dashed as the the roses continued in a pathetic state of suspended animation. My husband has had to put up with some serious griping about the trials of gardening in the high desert. How I longed for the loam of Back East.

Our neighbors down the road moved a few weeks ago and presented us with their supply of fertilizers when they were cleaning out the garage.  We often commiserated on the struggles of desert gardening. Gratefully I added them to my shelf and started experimenting with some I hadn't tried before--fish fertilizer. If throwing a couple of dead fish in the hole with corn and squash was good enough for the Iroquois, it had to be for me. Although the bottle says low odor, don't believe it. The smell of expired fish now permeates the rose garden. The dog, who is a large black Labrador is in absolute heaven. He even licked the spoon I was using to mix up the stuff. (It's organic and harmless.) Clancy stands sniffing the air and then the ground, his eyes shining blissfully. He's tempted to roll in the lantana, but so far he's controlled himself. Let's hope this works and the smell of roses once again graces the front yard.
Lantana

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Giveaway

I'll be giving a copy of The Time Under Heaven to the winner of a drawing on July 11.  Just click to follow SimplyLife between July 1 and July 10, and you'll be entered. It's SIMPLY simple. The Time Under Heaven is available at Amazon in paperback or Kindle.  Reviews In "The Time Under Heaven," first-time author Laurinda Wallace has created ordinary, relatable, and approachable characters, weaving a story of struggle and ultimate success from a faith perspective. And just when you think you know where the story is heading, it veers off into unknown territory revealing how unexpected life is. Wallace's storytelling captures the reader's emotions and attention with characters that have heart and soul and settings with vivid realism. "The Time Under Heaven" is a great read that will leave you wanting more.   Francine Biere, Author of Death in the Desert. Editorial Review - The Time Under Heaven – Laurinda Wallace’s debut novel is a...

The Worst Dishes Ever

Thanksgiving is only days away now and visions of succulent turkey, creamy mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, and moist stuffing are dancing through our heads.  However, holiday feasts also bring out those dishes that are made but once or twice a year, some to our delight, and others--not so much. The delightful list for me includes pecan pie, homemade stuffing, and turkey (with some crispy skin). Yup,it's all stuff that will clog your arteries in a heartbeat. Since it's once a year, I think the indulgence is totally permissible. My doctor may say otherwise, but really now, it's Thanksgiving. These decadent dishes are certainly not found in our weekday menus--at least not mine. However, there are some dishes that make it to the Thanksgiving table that should've been left in the kitchen or in the best case scenario, never made at all. Here's a quick list of what NOT to make next week. 1. Jell-O salads. I know, I know. They're traditional. But green gelatin ...

The Wild World of Condiments

When you bite into that burger, what's on top of it?  Ketchup, mustard, salsa, relish, onions, cheese? All of the above? None?  I love condiments of all kinds, all ethnic persuasions, colors, textures. They add the zing to whatever I'm eating. As a kid, ketchup was my number one favorite. It goes well on most anything. Ask my Aunt Nita who was a real rebel back in the day and put it on her eggs. I was mildly shocked at this as a child, but followed her example and found it to be pretty tasty. Now I prefer salsa and cheese on scrambled eggs, but nothing can replace ketchup on a myriad of foods. So what's a condiment? It comes from the Latin word "condimentum" which means seasoning. I can see my Latin teacher standing to cheer on this one. I should try to decline the noun, but I'm not sure if I'd make it. All good words come from the Latin, which is common knowledge, sort of like "all words come from the Greek" (My Big Fat Greek Wedding).  Diction...