Skip to main content

The Siren Call of Shiny Objects

The idea of getting a smartphone has been under consideration for a couple of weeks. Everybody has one, why shouldn't I?  I could fit right in with everyone in the restaurant who's texting, checking in on Face Book, and in general ignoring their dining partner.  The phone I haul around is at least five years old. There's nothing wrong with it. I can receive calls, call others, and sometimes even receive or send a text or two.  It fits nicely in my purse or the pocket of my jeans.



The cellphone company wants to "give" me a new smartphone. Why they're shiny, have Internet access, and most importantly apps.  I can check my bank account, read a book, listen to music, play games, and so much more.  Since they're sleek and shiny, off I went to the cellphone store to see what an upgrade would entail.  The customer service person tried not to laugh at my old phone without any apps. She was kind and explained how wonderful the smartphone is. Enticed, I wandered through the land of smartphones. There were so many varieties, and yes, they were all shiny.  How cool it would be to have the latest technology, text others, download amazing apps to astound my friends while having lunch in a restaurant. I too could text and play games while waiting for my salad.  While my husband checked basketball scores or email on his BlackBerry a/k/a Crackberry, I could play Mahjong or shop for shoes. The whole idea was rather enthralling and you know, it was easy to envision myself texting in abandon and checking email every few minutes. You never know who might need an immediate answer.

Alas, when at the counter and the dreaded question was asked --"What will this cost?", the answer was disappointing. The monthly bill would increase exponentially. That's because the current plan is quite low end. Now, I've been married to a Scotsman for a very long time, and his frugal mindset has become mine as well. While adjustments were made to the plan and the cost decreased by pennies, the amount still made me blanch at the thought of paying such an extravagant amount for a shiny object, however cool it was.

In the end, the cellphone is a phone in my book. I have an aversion to texting and who wants to constantly peer at a screen you can barely see. In one shining moment the phone had lost its charm. Then came the realization that the shiny objects more fun to have around were the shekels saved to be enjoyed in other ways. Might not be as cool, but there won't be any groaning about a monthly bill.  Besides it's way cooler to talk to that handsome dinner partner of mine, rather than check junk email. Hmmm...but maybe an iPad...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Giveaway

I'll be giving a copy of The Time Under Heaven to the winner of a drawing on July 11.  Just click to follow SimplyLife between July 1 and July 10, and you'll be entered. It's SIMPLY simple. The Time Under Heaven is available at Amazon in paperback or Kindle.  Reviews In "The Time Under Heaven," first-time author Laurinda Wallace has created ordinary, relatable, and approachable characters, weaving a story of struggle and ultimate success from a faith perspective. And just when you think you know where the story is heading, it veers off into unknown territory revealing how unexpected life is. Wallace's storytelling captures the reader's emotions and attention with characters that have heart and soul and settings with vivid realism. "The Time Under Heaven" is a great read that will leave you wanting more.   Francine Biere, Author of Death in the Desert. Editorial Review - The Time Under Heaven – Laurinda Wallace’s debut novel is a...

The Worst Dishes Ever

Thanksgiving is only days away now and visions of succulent turkey, creamy mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, and moist stuffing are dancing through our heads.  However, holiday feasts also bring out those dishes that are made but once or twice a year, some to our delight, and others--not so much. The delightful list for me includes pecan pie, homemade stuffing, and turkey (with some crispy skin). Yup,it's all stuff that will clog your arteries in a heartbeat. Since it's once a year, I think the indulgence is totally permissible. My doctor may say otherwise, but really now, it's Thanksgiving. These decadent dishes are certainly not found in our weekday menus--at least not mine. However, there are some dishes that make it to the Thanksgiving table that should've been left in the kitchen or in the best case scenario, never made at all. Here's a quick list of what NOT to make next week. 1. Jell-O salads. I know, I know. They're traditional. But green gelatin ...

The Wild World of Condiments

When you bite into that burger, what's on top of it?  Ketchup, mustard, salsa, relish, onions, cheese? All of the above? None?  I love condiments of all kinds, all ethnic persuasions, colors, textures. They add the zing to whatever I'm eating. As a kid, ketchup was my number one favorite. It goes well on most anything. Ask my Aunt Nita who was a real rebel back in the day and put it on her eggs. I was mildly shocked at this as a child, but followed her example and found it to be pretty tasty. Now I prefer salsa and cheese on scrambled eggs, but nothing can replace ketchup on a myriad of foods. So what's a condiment? It comes from the Latin word "condimentum" which means seasoning. I can see my Latin teacher standing to cheer on this one. I should try to decline the noun, but I'm not sure if I'd make it. All good words come from the Latin, which is common knowledge, sort of like "all words come from the Greek" (My Big Fat Greek Wedding).  Diction...