Skip to main content

The Winter Garden

The temperatures plunged into the teens this weekend and the highs during the day didn't get out of the upper 30s. That's pretty unusual for our area, even though cold weather is not. Although the Farmer's Almanac and the local weather people said we'd have a mild, wet winter, it just hasn't happened. We'll see how our little winter garden fares after a few days sub-freezing weather.

The winter garden is our experiment, which so far has proved itself quite successful. Since our winters are oh so mild as compared to Western New York we decided to put the raised bed garden to use despite the cold weather.  Choosing the more cold hardy of vegetables, we planted lettuces, beets, chard, and carrots back in October.  We've been enjoying greens and lettuce since late November. We're still waiting for the carrots since they require more time.  There's nothing like fresh picked lettuce for salads or sweet beet greens with all those wonderful antioxidants. It's also fun to walk past the bags of salad greens in the store and know that my lettuce at home is way better and much cheaper. 

So as the mercury drops, the little garden is bundled up in straw and draped with old sheets to ward off what they're calling killer temperatures.  We'll see what survives. Sure glad we had some beet greens and a salad this week because I'm not confident there will be any to enjoy tomorrow morning. But I sure hope it makes it because some more greens would be nice, and it would be a shame to lose those carrots that are starting to get some size.  It'll be a mystery until tomorrow morning.


The Summer Garden
 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Giveaway

I'll be giving a copy of The Time Under Heaven to the winner of a drawing on July 11.  Just click to follow SimplyLife between July 1 and July 10, and you'll be entered. It's SIMPLY simple. The Time Under Heaven is available at Amazon in paperback or Kindle.  Reviews In "The Time Under Heaven," first-time author Laurinda Wallace has created ordinary, relatable, and approachable characters, weaving a story of struggle and ultimate success from a faith perspective. And just when you think you know where the story is heading, it veers off into unknown territory revealing how unexpected life is. Wallace's storytelling captures the reader's emotions and attention with characters that have heart and soul and settings with vivid realism. "The Time Under Heaven" is a great read that will leave you wanting more.   Francine Biere, Author of Death in the Desert. Editorial Review - The Time Under Heaven – Laurinda Wallace’s debut novel is a...

The Worst Dishes Ever

Thanksgiving is only days away now and visions of succulent turkey, creamy mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, and moist stuffing are dancing through our heads.  However, holiday feasts also bring out those dishes that are made but once or twice a year, some to our delight, and others--not so much. The delightful list for me includes pecan pie, homemade stuffing, and turkey (with some crispy skin). Yup,it's all stuff that will clog your arteries in a heartbeat. Since it's once a year, I think the indulgence is totally permissible. My doctor may say otherwise, but really now, it's Thanksgiving. These decadent dishes are certainly not found in our weekday menus--at least not mine. However, there are some dishes that make it to the Thanksgiving table that should've been left in the kitchen or in the best case scenario, never made at all. Here's a quick list of what NOT to make next week. 1. Jell-O salads. I know, I know. They're traditional. But green gelatin ...

The Wild World of Condiments

When you bite into that burger, what's on top of it?  Ketchup, mustard, salsa, relish, onions, cheese? All of the above? None?  I love condiments of all kinds, all ethnic persuasions, colors, textures. They add the zing to whatever I'm eating. As a kid, ketchup was my number one favorite. It goes well on most anything. Ask my Aunt Nita who was a real rebel back in the day and put it on her eggs. I was mildly shocked at this as a child, but followed her example and found it to be pretty tasty. Now I prefer salsa and cheese on scrambled eggs, but nothing can replace ketchup on a myriad of foods. So what's a condiment? It comes from the Latin word "condimentum" which means seasoning. I can see my Latin teacher standing to cheer on this one. I should try to decline the noun, but I'm not sure if I'd make it. All good words come from the Latin, which is common knowledge, sort of like "all words come from the Greek" (My Big Fat Greek Wedding).  Diction...