Skip to main content

Book Review - Jesus Himself

Every once in awhile, I review a book for readers. Today, here's a review that I recently posted to Amazon and Goodreads. This is a free book for Kindle currently, so if you're looking for devotional reading that is challenging, but brief, read on.



Jesus HimselfJesus Himself by Andrew Murray

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I discovered Andrew Murray two or three years ago and have continually been challenged by his to-the-point and contemporary message for Christians today. The overarching theme of the works I've read has been total surrender to Christ. Two short sermons by Andrew Murray are recorded in Jesus Himself.

Murray was a Dutch Reformed minister who lived in South Africa during the 1800s until his death in 1917. His passion for spreading the Gospel and challenging Christians to walk worthy is evident in his many writings. He was born and educated in Scotland, receiving his Masters degree in Aberdeen. Murray was also one of the founders of the South African General Mission. He married Emma Rutherford in 1856, Cape Town, South Africa, and they had eight children. Modern readers may find his language formal and a bit difficult to digest, but not overly so.

The surrendered heart is one that believes Christ will do exactly what He said He would - live in us and form us into His image. On this daily relationship with the Savior, Murray says, "If you throw open your heart and give up everything but just believing and allowing Him to do what He wants, it will come."

If your relationship with Christ is stagnant or if you're merely dabbling in religion, Jesus Himself will point you to a vital, growing relationship with the person of Jesus Christ. Once you begin reading, it's easy to picture Andrew Murray delivering these sermons to his congregation with passion.

A life of total faith, total surrender, and total dependence upon God is one that that is never boring and is totally worth it. Andrew Murray's life is a testimony to that and the timeless message of relationship rather than religion is exceedingly relevant for today.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Giveaway

I'll be giving a copy of The Time Under Heaven to the winner of a drawing on July 11.  Just click to follow SimplyLife between July 1 and July 10, and you'll be entered. It's SIMPLY simple. The Time Under Heaven is available at Amazon in paperback or Kindle.  Reviews In "The Time Under Heaven," first-time author Laurinda Wallace has created ordinary, relatable, and approachable characters, weaving a story of struggle and ultimate success from a faith perspective. And just when you think you know where the story is heading, it veers off into unknown territory revealing how unexpected life is. Wallace's storytelling captures the reader's emotions and attention with characters that have heart and soul and settings with vivid realism. "The Time Under Heaven" is a great read that will leave you wanting more.   Francine Biere, Author of Death in the Desert. Editorial Review - The Time Under Heaven – Laurinda Wallace’s debut novel is a...

The Worst Dishes Ever

Thanksgiving is only days away now and visions of succulent turkey, creamy mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, and moist stuffing are dancing through our heads.  However, holiday feasts also bring out those dishes that are made but once or twice a year, some to our delight, and others--not so much. The delightful list for me includes pecan pie, homemade stuffing, and turkey (with some crispy skin). Yup,it's all stuff that will clog your arteries in a heartbeat. Since it's once a year, I think the indulgence is totally permissible. My doctor may say otherwise, but really now, it's Thanksgiving. These decadent dishes are certainly not found in our weekday menus--at least not mine. However, there are some dishes that make it to the Thanksgiving table that should've been left in the kitchen or in the best case scenario, never made at all. Here's a quick list of what NOT to make next week. 1. Jell-O salads. I know, I know. They're traditional. But green gelatin ...

The Wild World of Condiments

When you bite into that burger, what's on top of it?  Ketchup, mustard, salsa, relish, onions, cheese? All of the above? None?  I love condiments of all kinds, all ethnic persuasions, colors, textures. They add the zing to whatever I'm eating. As a kid, ketchup was my number one favorite. It goes well on most anything. Ask my Aunt Nita who was a real rebel back in the day and put it on her eggs. I was mildly shocked at this as a child, but followed her example and found it to be pretty tasty. Now I prefer salsa and cheese on scrambled eggs, but nothing can replace ketchup on a myriad of foods. So what's a condiment? It comes from the Latin word "condimentum" which means seasoning. I can see my Latin teacher standing to cheer on this one. I should try to decline the noun, but I'm not sure if I'd make it. All good words come from the Latin, which is common knowledge, sort of like "all words come from the Greek" (My Big Fat Greek Wedding).  Diction...